October 1, 2019 Update: our Diocesan Profile is live! Visit the 11th Bishop of Oregon Search and Transition website to read it and view information on how to apply or nominate a prospective candidate.
The application period is now closed.
Dear Friends in Christ,
It has been slightly more than three months since Bishop Michael announced his desire to retire upon the ordination and consecration of the eleventh Bishop of Oregon. Since that time your Standing Committee has contracted with a consultant from the Presiding Bishop’s Office of Pastoral Development and appointed a Search Committee, which has been hard at work developing a diocesan profile, as they also work on other responsibilities.
Now it is time to appoint a Transition Committee. Their official responsibilities include educating the diocese about the role of bishop, conducting the walkabout, supporting the electing convention, and coordinating the many facets of the ordination and consecration of the new bishop. As announced last spring, the Rev. Beth Mallon has graciously agreed to serve as Transition Committee chair. Beth will meet with Standing Committee on September 5 to review applications in order to select the Transition Committee.
Transition Committee Member Responsibilities and Desired Skills
Given the range of responsibilities the Transition Committee will have, committee members with a variety of skills will be needed.
- Because the Transition Committee will oversee events that will happen in various parts of the diocese, it is extremely helpful to have committee members who are well-connected in their home areas. The Transition Committee itself will likely enlist the help of non-committee members in planning the various walkabout events, for example.
- Likewise, those with liturgical, musical and organizational skills will be extremely important in planning the ordination and consecration.
- Experience at event planning will also be critical given the complexity of both the walkabout week and the ordination weekend.
- Communications skills will be a welcome asset since the Transition Committee is the group responsible for introducing the candidates to the diocese and the diocese to the candidates.
- Pastoral care and hospitality for the candidates during what is an extremely stressful time in their lives, as well as compassion for our retiring bishop as he prepares to enter a whole new phase of his life, are also gifts needed by Transition Committee members.
How to Apply
If you feel you possess the gifts needed to be a member of the Transition Committee, we ask that you complete the application below.
If you do not feel called yourself but know people you feel would be excellent Transition Committee members, please contact them and ask them to consider applying.
As indicated on the application form, applications will be accepted through August 29.
With a continued sense of gratitude for the gifts God has given the people of this diocese, we ask that you keep the Standing, Search and Transition Committees in your prayers.
Your Standing Committee:
Sharon Rodgers, President, the Rev. David Sweeney, Secretary, James Johnson, the Rev. Karen Tiegs, Laurea Arnoldt, the Rev. Nancy Gallagher, Toni Phipps, the Rev. Patricia Hale