October is Fire Prevention Month. This year’s theme is “Serving Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen”. Cooking related fires remains among Oregon’s leading causes of home fires.
Cooking fire safety tips:
- Keep an eye on what you’re cooking- don’t leave cooking unattended.
- Keep your cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles (potholders, food packaging, towels, etc.) and wipe up surface spills.
- Create a three-foot kid and pet free zone around the stove.
- Older children should only cook with permission and under the supervision of an adult.
- Have a lid or cookie sheet within reach while cooking (to smother flames) in case of a fire.
Safety tips for if a cooking fire does start:
- Put a lid on it! Slide a lid over the pan (from the side) and then turn off the burner.
- Don’t move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and cooled, and don’t try to transfer the pan to the sink.
- When in Doubt, JUST GET OUT!