CLICK HERE if you have news or an event to submit to our events calendar
- This event has passed.
Rally for the right to a Livable Future!
June 4, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
The EcoFaith Recovery network invites you to mobilize your faith community and join with those of other religious traditions as we support youth in their efforts to advocate for systemic change that will meaningfully address our climate crisis. You can join us in this effort in-person (Portland, Oregon) or by submitting a video from elsewhere in the country.
Background: In 2015, twenty-one children and teenagers filed the landmark climate lawsuit Juliana v. United States against the federal government seeking a court-ordered national climate recovery plan that will decarbonize our energy system.
What’s happening on June 4th: The young plaintiffs’ case will be heard by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Portland, Oregon —a hearing that will determine when Juliana v. United States will proceed to trial, wherein the plaintiffs’ attorneys from Our Children’s Trust will uncover over 30,000 pages of evidence that the government has knowingly caused climate change. It is imperative that diverse public support be demonstrated so that the youth can have their day in court.
The Invitation: EcoFaith Recovery is partnering with Our Children’s Trust and Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon to support you in organizing people from your faith community and relational networks to show up together at a rally in support of the Juliana plaintiffs at Director Park in Portland on June 4th at 10:15 a.m. and/or submit a video from anywhere in the country showing your faith community’s support. You are invited to:
- Join us for an Interfaith Pre-Gathering at 9:30 a.m. at First Congregational United Church of Christ (1126 SW Park, Portland) on June 4th before the rally. Dress in ways identifying you as part of the faith community with signs and prayer cards made by members of your faith community in support of the Youth Plaintiffs. After grounding ourselves together through words, prayer and song, we will walk three blocks to Director Park making a joyful noise with any percussion instruments we bring along.
- Attend the rally, at Director Park (815 SW Park Ave. Portland), gathering at 10:15 a.m. with other people of faith for a rally that will start at 10:30 a.m.
- Make a sign and record a video of your faith community announcing their support for the Juliana plaintiffs (no matter where you are in the country):
- The video will likely be shown at the rally and shared on Youth v. Gov social media platforms
- Video and sign making instructions are here
- Deliver a sermon about climate justice leading up to the hearing and use the opportunity to invite your congregation to attend the rally or offer a video
Thank you for your support, for standing with the brave young plaintiffs, and for understanding that this is not just an environmental crisis, but a deeply spiritual crisis as well.
We can and will make a difference together.
Learn more at: http://www.ecofaithrecovery.org/ourchildrenstrust/