Paid Choral Section Leaders Auditions
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Portland, Oregon is seeking to hire paid section leaders for their choir for the season of Advent and Christmas 2019 – 2020. Our Sunday worship is in a traditional style based on the Book of Common Prayer. There is currently regularly only one service with music, our 10 o’clock service which is Rite II with a choir. Music is a vital part of St. Barnabas and is integral to our Sunday services.
- Excellent musicianship: good music reader, pitch sense, and ensemble singer.
- Strong sense of musical leadership; primary duty is to give volunteer singers a strong sense of musical security; to be the first in the section to have learned the music well before any rehearsal; to lead sectional rehearsals if and when the Director requires;
- Possess general group leadership in behavior, reliability, attendance, and punctuality at rehearsals and performances.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform a wide range of musical styles.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Consistently exhibit effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Present a professional appearance and maintain a positive attitude.
- Maintain excellence in one’s own musical skills through regular practices, study and continuing education.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report to the Music Director and Rector and be a supportive and positive team member. Note that in our tradition, our canons specify that the rector is ultimately responsible for music. At St. Barnabas we work together in a spirit of collegiality and respect.
- Between the dates of 11.19.19 to 01.05.20, attend all weekly rehearsals, Sunday Services, Christmas Eve Mass, and any replacement/additional rehearsals that may be scheduled. Rehearsals are currently on Tuesday evenings, but are subject to change.
- Cantor occasionally, and sing solo sections of choral pieces if necessary
- Communicate with Music Director regularly via email, telephone, and occasional meetings.
$35 – $40 per call. Final
compensation will be determined based on the qualifications and experience of
the successful applicant.
Letter of interest and resume/portfolio are required. Please include contact information for two references. Audio samples are encouraged, but optional.
All communications and required materials should be directed to the Music Director Shanti Michael at email@example.com
All applications will be considered and reviewed through December 15. The most qualified candidates will be invited to interview and audition in person.