St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church
Milwaukie, Oregon 97222
Job Description: Parish Administrator
Reports to: Rector
The Parish Administrator maintains a warm, welcoming, orderly atmosphere for parishioners and others who call or visit the church. Reporting to the Rector, the Parish Administrator is responsible and accountable for day-to-day coordination and implementation of administrative and business-related functions of St. John’s. The Parish Administrator is responsible for smooth, efficient operations and overall management of the parish office including coordinating, directing and executing all non-ministerial, non-finance parish operations, responding to telephone and in-person inquiries/visits, when there is no office volunteer at front desk, with courtesy and tact. Parish Administrator directs the front desk volunteers in regards to daily tasks and responding to phone calls and inquiries from anyone coming to the office. Parish Administrator completes all annual, monthly and weekly tasks in an efficient and timely manner. Working closely with all church staff, volunteers, Treasurer, Wardens and Vestry, and provides support services for all church operations. The Parish Administrator will be committed to moving the mission and ministry of St. John’s forward. The mission and ministry of St. John’s includes but is not limited to; Liturgy Ministry, Pastoral Care Team, Assimilation Ministry, Christian Formation Ministry, Facilities Ministry and Stewardship Ministry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. (Other duties as may be assigned)
Annual Meetings: Collect, prepare and publish all documents for Annual Meeting. Assist with annual budget process, providing input about administrative expenses.
Annual Parochial Report: Collect data throughout year. Assist the Rector in completing report. (March 1 due date)
Update and print parish directory when directed.
Support mailings for stewardship.
Collect, prepare, and assist the Rector with annual program calendar planning. Communicate drafts and updates with staff, vestry, and parish community as needed.
Notify diocesan office of annual convention delegates.
Keep abreast of diocesan activities pertaining to the parish of St. John the Evangelist and Metro-East Convocation of which St. John’s is a member, by subscribing to the Diocesan Digest and In Conversation magazine. The address for the Diocesan website is: www.diocese-oregon.org
Administrative support for monthly vestry meetings. Receive approved vestry minutes monthly from clerk; save in computer file and place a paper copy in publicly available Vestry Minutes notebook.
Attend staff meetings when scheduled.
Construct, proof and distribute monthly Newsletter, working in tandem with vestry member leading IT efforts.
Parish Calendar: Maintain electronic master calendar by keeping it up to date with classes, events, weddings, memorial services, building usage, etc.
Sunday worship bulletin:
- Update bulletin, adding lessons, music, etc. with rector and music director input.
- Edit and produce drafts for revisions for review of rector. Print upon approval.
- Collate with inserts as necessary or direct office volunteers to perform this task.
Prayers of the people:Update in consultation with rector.
Front desk workers:Have tasks available for volunteers who staff the front desk
Coordinate Parish activities:
- Work in partnership with vestry member leading IT to keep website and other social media outlets up to date including the Weekly E-News, monthly Newsletter and special announcements. Assist vestry member leading IT with fresh content, documents, photo, and other information.
- Keep church calendar up to date regarding events, building usage, etc.
- Construct and Proof the final version of the E-News before scheduling for distribution on Thursday afternoon.
Fulfill requests from the Deacon
Take phone calls and emails:
- Either responding directly to call/email request or
- directing call/email to appropriate person in office.
- Refer all pastoral care calls and emails to rector.
- Take messages as necessary.
Maintain Phone System daily: maintain the greeting, track voicemail messages retaining a copy and give to rector or other appropriate people in a timely manner.
Monitor building activities: troubleshoot issues as necessary with Rector and members of the Facilities Ministry.
Incoming Mail: sort and distribute to mail folders daily.
Keys: Maintain key application/check out forms and key box.
Parish database (Church Windows) working in tandem with vestry members of the Assimilation Ministry Team:
Update members and add new members entries as needed.
Conduct searches and prepare reports as needed for mailing labels, committee lists birthday lists, etc.
Send information sheet request to newcomers who desire to become members.
- Receive phone calls and emails from persons interested in renting building space either for a onetime event or long-term usage.
- Confer with rector regarding the building use request, costs, possible conflicts etc. prior to providing applications or showing the property to potential users.
- Show the facilities to potential renters as needed, email or otherwise provide applications, and maintain a binder of completed applications.
- Inform sexton about rentals and when heat will be needed and notify sexton about any schedule changes.
- When rental money is received, place in Treasurer folder.
Monitor office supplies: ordering as needed
Monitor maintenance of office equipment: scheduling servicing as needed; ordering parts etc. as needed.
Show service/repair/delivery people to appropriate locations in building, explain concerns, answer questions, etc.
Refer all pastoral care concerns to rector.
Hours, Salary, and Benefits
This position is part-time, probably averaging around 12 hours per week. Salary and benefits will be part of the hiring discussion.
Interested persons should contact Mary Dettman. Click here to email Mary.