Overview of Position
This position has responsibility for all administrative tasks of the parish office. Responsibilities include greeting people and responding to their inquiries both in person and on the phone, serving as a central point of communication among church committees, personnel and volunteers, managing the dissemination of information, coordinating schedules, handling correspondence and mail, and providing administrative assistance to the Priest-in-Charge.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as open and welcoming primary contact for anyone who calls or visits the church during office hours. Directs calls and inquiries to the appropriate party in a timely manner.
- Receives, responds to and distributes mail, messages, and email.
- Schedules church facilities and coordinate facilities access.
- Opens and closes church during office hours.
- Operates and maintains office equipment; purchase office supplies; ensure regular backups of all computer-based information.
- Maintain parish calendar.
- Maintain proper financial records, enters and records deposits (Quickbooks/Church Windows), pays bills, collaborating as necessary with the Treasurer.
- Maintain membership information, annual parish directory, and parish registers.
- Manage parish-wide communications including newsletters, bulletin boards, email, and social media.
- Coordinates diocesan communication, ensuring the Diocese is up to date, and diocesan reports and communications are turned in in a timely manner.
- Maintains prayer list.
- Prepares bulletins for Sunday and other services as necessary, in coordination with the Priest-in-Charge.
- Schedules appointments for the Priest-in-Charge as requested.
- Meets regularly with the Priest-in-Charge.
- Maintains strict confidentiality and professional conduct at all times.
- Performs other duties as required for the well being of the parish.
- Expected work-week is Monday-Thursday.
- Maintain regularly scheduled, posted office hours in coordination with the Priest-in-Charge.
- Current compensation: 12hrs/wk @$15/hr.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to efficiently use computer technology, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher and Database software (Church Windows) and Google Docs.
- Familiar with social media (WordPress, Facebook, Instagram).
- Able to work with and coordinate volunteers.
- Able to multi-task, set priorities, and coordinate often competing deadlines.
- Able to work independently and as the member of a team.
- Must be able to pass the diocesan background check.
- Must have high school diploma or GED and a minimum of two years office experience.
- Prefer knowledge of the Episcopal tradition and forms of prayer and worship.
Send cover letter and resume to:
St. Philip the Deacon Episcopal Church
120 NE Knott St.
Portland, OR 97212-3010