During the year Bishop Michael Hanley visits the various congregations that make up the Diocese of Oregon. Visitation times are known to change so please contact your congregation or the diocesan office for specific details.
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church will be ringing in their 125th anniversary in March 2020. The church was founded in North Portland in 1895. The current building was constructed in 1955 at 7600 North Hereford Avenue next to the old church. The former building now houses the Hereford House Pantry, a ministry of the church.
The old church had a bell tower above the main entrance, but when the tower became unstable, the bell was removed and stored with the hope a new bell tower would be constructed in the future.
This past year interest in the bell and a new tower was renewed. The new bell tower, now finished, will be dedicated Wednesday evening, September 25th, by Bishop Michael Hanley. Please join us for this service of evening prayer, dedication, and festive reception.
All are welcome at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church.
There will be a book-signing at St. Andrew’s on Sunday, June 30, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Everyone is invited.
Episcopal Bishop John Thornton, retired from the Diocese of Idaho, has published a fourth book titled THE BROOKS BROTHERS SUIT and Other Stories. The book is a collection of nineteen short stories about persons he has known and events that occurred during the nearly sixty years of his ministry. The stories include his interview with mass-murderer Charles Manson on Death Row in San Quentin Prison in California, his acquaintance with Marsha Owen (aka, “Sally Stanford,” the famous San Francisco madam), and his long and deep friendship with psychoanalyst and author (CHILDHOOD AND SOCIETY, GANDHI’S TRUTH, YOUNG MAN LUTHER, etc.) Erik Erikson. The stories are unique and can’t be found in literature elsewhere.
Though out of the state much of the time, Bishop Thornton and his wife, Jan, have been Oregonians since 1981, living on a small farm east of Scio in the Willamette Valley.
Bishop Thornton is a dear friend of retired priest Frazer Crocker and was recently in Florence to conduct the celebration of life for Diana Crocker.
By Carol Cushman, senior warden of St. Andrew’s.
Saint Andrew’s roots are deep, providing continuous worship services since July of 1895. We have struggled at times with a lack of consistent clergy, but we were grateful for the support of the bishop and the diocese. Members step up in many roles to keep moving forward in Christ. St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in North Portland is pleased to once again feel that we are moving forward. We have recently called a new vicar, Jonna Alexander.
Our visioning committee, led by Michael Henry, our able junior warden, is taking a fresh look at our property. We are developing a unified plan to be responsible stewards. An urban farmer is growing produce for market in the front yard with our food pantry receiving fresh fruits and vegetables from the bounty. Half of the “old” church, the Hereford House Pantry, offers food and other necessities to those in need in our community. We are working on the upper half (a painting party is in mid project) as we seek a compatible tenant who will provide health services to the community and income to promote sustainability of the parish.
The Undercroft is filled during the week with the sounds of Scouts, drummers, piano, and Capoeira. The kitchen hums with sounds of preparations for our frequent Sunday brunches, and we are exploring sharing the space with a group providing soup for the houseless downtown.
The spiritual life at Saint Andrew’s continues to grow. Through inclusive hospitality new members have joined and are active participants serving at the altar, as readers and in many other ways. Adult formation classes are part of the week, additional services and pastoral care enliven the life of the community. The Saint Andrew’s community is excited to see where the Holy Spirit leads us next. We invite you to come join us one Sunday.
We belong to the Chamber of Commerce, and members are active in the community as
- Volunteers at the hospital, in the schools, and community activities including Senior Meals, Meals on Wheels, hospice, and Elder Help
- Active in lodges, veterans’ and women’s groups, historical and cultural organizations
Last year, we gave $4,200 in outreach grants to 12 local organizations.
Since 2016, we have participated in joint services with the Methodist and Presbyterian churches three or four times a year.
In recent years, the Oregon Bach Collegium and the University of Oregon Chamber singers have given concerts at St. Andrew’s, open to the community free of charge.
Our Memorial Garden is available for the burial of ashes to any who desire, free of charge.
We provide a place of worship for people staying overnight in town as they travel on I-5, and for long-term temporary residents: a young woman from Gold Beach, working in the area for a few months; a young man from Germany, doing an internship at a local winery; a retired man from CO house-sitting for friends; a woman from AZ, escaping the summer heat; a man from TN helping his daughter relocate.
The vicar has given prayers at the annual banquet of the Chamber of Commerce (twice) and the community’s Memorial Day observance.