Did you know that the last Sunday before Lent (Sunday, Feb 26th) has been designated as World Mission Sunday? This is our opportunity to celebrate the gifts and transformation that mission engagement is bringing to our church; to encourage those who are already exploring global mission through their diocese, church, organization or as missionaries in the field; and to envision new opportunities to be transformed through partnering with God in mission.
Here are 10 ways that you can celebrate mission this year!
1) Use a Special Liturgy for World Mission Sunday. The Episcopal Church Office of Global Partnerships offers World Mission Sunday bulletin inserts, sermons and other excellent resources. Find them here.
Here are two great books that we recommend, to get you started. Check our Book Study Page for more information and to order books directly from our website.
3) Adopt a Missionary. There are currently forty-nine active Episcopal missionaries serving in twenty-one countries around the world. They can always use our prayers and encouragement. Check their blogs, write them emails, pray for their health and discernment. Visit our Adopt-a-Missionary page for more information on ways to support our missionaries in the field.
4) Visit the Global Episcopal Mission Network (GEMN) Website for Mission Resources, Training and Tools.
New features are:
- Our Global Mission Bookshelf with books and videos recommended by GEMN members.
- Our Carbon Offset page to find out how to help the environment through a creative mission partnership.
- Our Get Involved area, including ways for you to Adopt-a-Missionary.
- Our comprehensive Global Mission Bibliography (PDF)
7) Watch an Inspirational Global Mission Video.
9) Develop a Global Mission Partnership. GEMN’s Global Mission Partner Organizations are passionate about mission. They are the hands and feet of Christ in a hurting world. Take a moment to explore the mission and work of each of our partners and see how you can get involved!